Tuesday 14 May 2024

A tale of friendship and loss

 I used to work with a woman who was about 15 years older than me and we became friends. She'd join us for nights out and weekends away. She moved on to a different workplace, but we remained friends. Eventually she moved to Italy and we even visited her there, children in tow as our lives changed with the passage of time.

She wrote this book, Leaning towards Pisa about her move to Italy and began work on her second novel. Unfortuanely, she was struck down with pancreatic cancer shortly and hurriedly finished the manuscript. She died not long after.

The second novel is historical fiction, looking at three years in the life of Giacomo Puccini while he wrote Madama Butterfly. 

It is the Centenary of Puccini's death and all around the world, Opera Houses are beginning their celebrations of his work. 

Sue's daughter entrusted one of Sue's life long friends from her University days at Cambridge to prepare the manuscript for publishing. As a result, I'll be at the book launch next week and get my hands on a copy. 

It is bittersweet, as she really wanted this book published, and the timing brings a constant reminder of her loss, every time I see Puccini mentioned in the news.

However, the strange part is, in the to-ing and fro-ing of emails, names keep popping up. Her friends that I heard stories about, as you do when you catch up. All these names are very familliar, even though I have never met them, or at least only did briefly at her funeral to put faces to names.

We are linked to people in many ways, some just in the shared loss of a friend. You don't realise how much you peek through a window into other people's lives until the storyteller is gone and you realise how well you feel you know the stranger.

I guess that's the legacy of a life well lived:
enduring friendship.

Puccini's Butterfly is available now on Amazon in ebook. The hard copy will be available from 28 May.

Book launch post is here.


Linking with #WWWHimsy #SeniorSalonPitstop #Stackingtheshelves #AnythingGoes
#Bookdate
 #SundaySalon #Weekendcoffeeshare #TrafficJamReboot #MonthlyBookworms #WowonWednesday






My Random Musings










14 comments:

  1. The thoughts you shared on friendship and loss are very beautiful. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Sue. I hope thoughts of your good memories will help bring some joy in the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True friends live on in our hears even after their passing. IT is good she managed to publish the second book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss of a dear friend. It's great that her second book got published and her wish was fulfilled. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friendship was so valuable, and your tribute to your friend is moving. My condolences.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puccini was from Lucca, Italy, and he and my great-grandfather were hunting buddies. I think this is a book I'd enjoy.

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the book launch and about the book itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!! That's amazing. Yes, I'm looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your loss but glad she could finish her book. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia, what a story! I'm so sorry you lost your friend. She sounds amazing and very talented. Both her books would be interesting to read. I totally understand what you mean when you feel like you know a stranger or strangers through the shared knowing of a person (in your case your friend). You hear about people through your friend so much over the years that you feel you know them. I felt that a lot with my friend Denise who passed away with cancer a few years ago. At her memorial there were so many people I met for the first time but knew so much about through her. Thanks for telling us about your friend and thank you for linking up with #WWWhimsy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, Lydia. Enduring friendship is indeed the legacy of a life well lived. I'm sorry to hear you lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely story and I am glad you will be able to attend the book launch. Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry that she was unable to finish her book and see it published. How wonderful that a friend was able to finish it and you are able to go to the book launch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your friend and how sad that she won't see her book published. Her legacy will live on through her words though - how lovely that you're able to go to the book launch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the loss of your friend, what a moving story. She will live on with her stories, I'm so glad her second book was finished. I'm going to feature you in my June edition of Book worms monthly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! We're trying to promote the book so I really appreciate that. Without the author to do the book tour, it's quite hard. With her first book she did talks in Libraries and bookstores....and a few radio interviews. This time, it's just her friends, though I think a publicist might have picked it up so fingers crossed.

      Delete