Thursday 2 May 2024

Do not trust your memory; it is a net full of holes; the most beautiful prizes slip through it. Georges Duhamel

There is a reason eye witness testimony is not always reliable, and it's not to do with attention or intent, but rather the slippery nature of memory.

Years ago, a friend and I went to see Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo and loved it. We were very excited when No pay? No Way! by the same playwrite was announced this year and a third friend got us all tickets. 

Prior to the show, we discussed how excited we were to see it. The third said she chose it because it had been on and she'd missed it. I told her that I thought it hadn't been on because it got cancelled in the lockdowns.

We walked in and I said  "Oh., that's the set from the other one! They must use it for 'Italy' "...but that was not the only familliar thing.

As the play openned, it began to feel very familliar. Then I realised I'd seen it! 10 minutes into the show, my friend whispered "We went to this!".

At interval, we couldn't stop laughing. I said 'But they've changed some of it. This bit didn't happen like that'. She countered 'No that was the same but this bit was different' mentioning a bit I clearly remembered.

So that was the strange part. Not that we both forgot we went to see it together but that what we remembered from it was different. What stood out to us varied. Hardly any of it was the same. Like flowers, insignificant memories bloom and fade.

It made me think about how family feuds start. At a non emotive event, with no importance, two of us forgot and remembered completely different bits clearly. So imagine if money or past hurts are involved? No wonder rifts start and become so heated and ingrained.

"The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels: It is always the false ones that look the most real, the most brilliant". Salvador Dali


The play was great, but I laughed most at 'comparing notes' with my friend. It was like a real life science experiment. I'd be more worried about the state of my brain but she forgot we went too so I don't think it's early alzheimers.

Ultimately, this faulty memory protects us on the more serious things. And for that I am thankful. Though this time, maybe it was just too full up?

"The heart’s memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good; and thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burdens of the past". Gabriel Garcia Marquez


Note the play at the Opera House ends on the 11th May if you want to go. Buy tickets here.


Linking with #TrafficJamReboot #WWWhimsy #SeniorSalonPitstop #FloralFridayFoto #GardenAffair 


15 comments:

  1. Your post is fascinating. Such a good example of quirks of one’s memory. Life is too short — no, it’s too long and we can’t keep it all in mind.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird - that we both forgot completely and then what we did remember was completely the opposite of one another....

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words about my husband's passing...I gratefully appreciate it!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry again for what must have seemed a very odd comment on the first post I visited.

      Delete
  3. Heavens, I could have written this post!! Not about seeing a play a second time. But about watching a movie and not remembering having seen it until I was well into the second time. And today I went to do a kitty sitting job at a house where I have sat just once before a year or so ago. I could not remember anything about the kitty, the house, the owner. When I walked into the house, things began to take shape and I finally did remember having been there.

    Fun that you and your friend had different take-aways from the first and second times watching the play. I used to love to hear what the children in the library would tell me about the book I had read aloud to them. They almost always picked up on something I had completely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they rehashed some of the original play as they weren't happy with it, sounds like an amusing event for you both though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words of wisdom and that Fresh rose made my day, Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia - so funny and so interesting that what stood out to you both from each visit differed! I remember my Mum (before she got ill) loved reading and was often getting books out of the library and then part way through reading them realising she'd read them before. This is why she started a little book where she recorded the titles and author of every book she read so if she selected a book from the library to borrow she could check first if she'd read it before! Thanks again for linking up with #WWWhimsy - have a fabulous week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny, Lydia, I know I've done similar things with books but not a play. I love the Gabriel Garcia Marquez quote and the rose is beautiful, Thank you. #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to memory and subjectivity. I have (I think) an excellent memory but I will have arguments with my husband whose memory is ...let's say not as robust. In other words, nothing wrong with him but we have different ways of remembering and storing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! I found memory and even false memories such a fascinating field of psychology I must have spent a year or more studying it! Weirdly our memories are so malleable too that we can change our memories the more we think about them. I have definitely done this with books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's is so true! In the recent I've also been part of a few conversations that seem to prove this so I've been thinking about it quite a bit, too. :D

    Aren't we humans so interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those quotes! This made me smile because it's the sort of thing I would do. I'm always picking up books from the library and get a few pages in before I realise I've read them before! As I'm getting older my memory is definitely failing me and weirdly I can remember some things so clearly and others not at all. Sigh! I hope the play was even better the second time round :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was funny Lydia and you make some good points about memory and family memories in particular. My sister and I often discuss an event from our childhood but we have completely different perspectives and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for linking and sharing the image for SSPS 309. See you again next week https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete