Friday 31 May 2024

May Reading


A lot of reading in hardcopy and less listening for a change.

The Kamogawa Food Detectives. This was recommended by a few of the bloggers (want to say Min first but who knows?). It's short and light, but fun and sweet. I liked the thoughts about food and memory, recreating over regret and also the very Japanese ideas in the street and dishes. We'd just been in Kyoto so it's a perfect book for travellers. There is a bit of repetition (felt like a made for tv series) which bothered my mum but I didn't mind. I am very pleased to see some of the other books are being translated.






Fourteen Days This was a project written in lockdown and Margaret Atwood edited it. It's a book of short stories woven into a larger story. Some of the contributers are Margaret Atwood, Sylvia Day, Emma Donoghue, Dave Eggers, Diana Gabaldon, Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, Erica Jong, Celeste Ng, Tommy Orange, Doug Preston, R.L. Stine, Nafissa Thompson-Spires, Meg Wolitzer and more, 36 in all. You read it blind, in that you don't know who wrote what. Because I listened to it borrowed from the library, I didn't get the pdf attachment that did tell you who did what. I did manage to track down a partial list and it was interesting to see some authors play around with their style. It's a really fun way to see what people chose to do with their story. The main characters weave throughout the whole book so even if you don't think you like short stories, this would still work for you. I think the hardcopy book has the list at the back. If you do read it, try to not check it out until the end, though like me, you may get too curious not to want to work out who wrote what.

Got a free bathbombs at Lush on Mother's day.Made reading in the bath a bigger indulgence!

Smart Ovens for Lonely People Another collection of short stories, but this time actual short stories. Really fun, kooky and creative. I really enjoyed this book, at times sad and a lot of the time sweet. Or sinister. I can see why it was longlisted for the Stella Prize. Great book.


Close to Death Every year I eagerly await the new Hawthorne book, and I am thrilled he said there are 10 more to come (or at least 5 if he meant there were 10 in all). I adore Horowitz. He's smart and funny and these meta fiction books, where the author is the begrudging Dr Watson-style narrator of the story are charming and literally delightful. For me they are a joy to read. Only criticism is I now have to wait at least 11 months for the next one. This is book number 5. You can read in any order but the jokes and references work better if you read in order. (I don't really read his other stuff but his  Diamond Dectective books were a fave for me to read to my kids, who were less amused at my uncontrollable laughter runing the flow of the story.)


Number One is Walking We watched the Steve Martin doco and this book came up so I got a copy. It's a sweet collection of cartoons that tell short anecdotes from the movies he's made. Things famous people said to him, how ideas made the film, encouragement from idols etc.







Unleashed Facebook threw me an ad for a crime series and it interested me enough to give it a shot. This is the first in the Sydney Rye series (I got books 1-3 on audible for the price of 1). It opens with a hilarious Starbucks scene that got me onside almost immediately. It's fallen into the pattern of more normal crime/mystery books, so is easy and interesting, however, I'm hoping more of the strong character building in the first chapter continues in the later books. I've about 2/3 of the way through.


Yet to read (but up next), I attended the book launch of this book and learnt a few more things about it. Post is here.




18 comments:

  1. I have been curious about Fourteen Days and am glad you had a chance to read it. I will take your advice and go into it blind when I do get to it. Unleashed sounds interesting. I've been very tempted by some of the FB ads for books that pop up on my feed. I haven't seen that one though. I hope you read many great books in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading any future books in the Kamogawa Food Detectives series.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had quite a productive May. I'm not a fan of short stories. At least, I'm not a fan of reading them. I do find that I tend to buy them more often than I should though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had some good reads in May. Happy New Month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few Japanese novels to read in the style of yours. Bookstores, food, and coffee shops seem to be common themes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fascinated with books set in Japan, so i will add The Kamogawa Food Detectives to my list. Maybe I will save it for next January when there is a designated series of months for this.

    Fourteen Days sounds like a fun project. This one is at my library. I may look for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice variety of books. Unleashed looks awesome.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Kamogawa Food Detectives is already on my list, but I've been curious about Fourteen Days. You've made me want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look like some interesting books. Especially Close to Death.
    Have a great week.
    my link text

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a very interesting month of reading. I like the sounds of Fourteen Days, although I must admit I'm not generally a fan of short stories. My son used to be a fan of the Antony Horowitz kids' books and we went to see him talk once. I didn't realise he wrote books for adults too.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read The Kamogawa Food Detectives. The other books on your list are new to me. Thank you for your #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great books here, Lydia and hope you can link up with us for What's On Your Bookshelf this coming Friday. We have been watching Only Murders in the Building and love it plus Steve Martin and Martin Shaw are fabulous. thanks for sharing your book reviews here at #WeekendTrafficJamReboot. I've selected your post as one of my favourites to share next week. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read that Food Detective's one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am on book two of the Hawthorne & Horowitz series and am enjoying the series. I read someone recently say they are antsy for more information about Hawthorne to come out in the books. What do you think since you are up to five? I think it is fine to now know much about him. I just like the mysteries. I've read Moriarty by Horowitz and liked it. I want to read The House of Silk soon. I hadn't heard of the series you read your kids.

    My husband read the Steve Martin book and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adored the Food Detectives and have Close to Death ready for my flight today and short break away. Like you I eagerly look forward to a new Horowitz. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete