Thursday 16 May 2024

Tell Us about ...Music.

Now I know you thought this would be easy for me, as I talk about music a lot, but I actually struggled a bit to know what to say...


When my Dad was dying, I started using music as therapy. It really provided emotional balance for me. No matter what load I was carrying, after a few hours of singing and dancing in a crowd, I felt the weight lifted and I was ready to face another day. There are studies on dance and confidence & self esteem, physical well being and the benefits of  social inclusion. I have written so many times how dancing gives me a lift, it's in all my self care posts. I even get endorphin rush at the prospect of going to dance, on my way to the event, before I've heard a note!





Friends invited me to the races because Furnace and the Fundamentals were playing. Now I don't like horse racing but I'm going because I was having a sulk that somehow I had 3 weeks ahead without any music booked...I do actually have Sam Fisher but he's slow and you can't dance to him so he doesn't count...

I've used this Hunter S. Thompson quote before “Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel." and it really does hit home for me. The thought of no music lined up really brought me down, and so the ridiculous effort I'm going to even makes me chuckle. I get energised from it, a sort of high if I can get lost in the rhythm and the dancing. All singing in unison does something too. I guess feeling part of a community. It's probably why churches included chanting and then songs?



This song is all about losing yourself in singing and dancing and his fans got celebrated in the clip. There's so much infectious joy in it. (while not sexual , there is a woman in the shower and a lot of bikinis so maybe NSFW)

As a kid, I was really into music until about 12. I loved all music from the turn of the century up until the weekly top 40. I would follow that religiously, taping soungs off the tv musicals or off the radio. I knew (and still do) all the words of every song.

Then in high school it waned a little, but reading the music magazines and pouring over pictures of bands was added to the mix. I guess it became more about who was cool and who was cute?

Strangely, when I could go and see live bands, in my 20s, I just wasn't that into it. I did at Uni but once I was working, I went to pubs and clubs more, or cover bands to dance.

In my 30's,with kids, it stopped completely. Just too expensive with a sitter.

In my 40s we started having a lot of parties, predominately for me to dance and I started going to gigs again, but a more normal amount. Then my Dad died and that year it got a bit manic. Even I could see that. I decided I would cut back but somehow, since lockdown, it's got more manic, not less. 

My music has evolved from predomintately pop up until my 30s, then rap in my 40s to edm in my 50s. I see rap to edm as a logical progression because it beats and rhythm...though at a glance it probably looks odd.

I was leaving a festival with friends and said "So when is our next one?" and then in a panic asked "We do have a next one?" as I realised nothing stretched out on the horizon...We didn't go to Bluesfest this year because it didn't line up with school holidays and had our anniversary trip to pay for, so we booked a week of Bluesfest side gigs instead, having our own little festival. I have my new ritual of 'practice New Years' with Hot Dub on the Harbour and Harbourlife the next day, and of course Field Day is now bigger than my NYE and a great way to start the year!

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.

— Confucius



I guess the bottom line is, I've had all different sorts of musical influences over time, but music influences my life greatly, a soundtrack to wellbeing and happiness is constantly feeding my soul, from when I jump in the shower and throughout the day.








20 comments:

  1. What a great uplifting post, Lydia. I love the idea of a 'soundtrack to happiness and wellbeing to feed your soul'. When my Mum was having chemotherapy and radiation treatment she had a list of songs she would hum to herself during treatment. That was back in the late 70s/early 80s and she died in 1986. I have an envelope which she used to list the songs she sang. It is a treasure and gives me an insight into my Mum. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely she wrote them down. They would have so much meaning to her that you can probably see now. A great tangible link to 'sit with her'. And I'm sorry you and she went through all that.

      Delete
  2. Dear Lydia, I think you had a lot to tell about music ;-) - especially about your emotional approach to music. I think my approach to colors is similarly emotional - even though I also really like music. But once I had to answer the question of whether I would be better off living with blindness or deafness, my answer was definitely and quickly "deafness." With Edi it's the other way around. His approach to music can be found in the lyrics "Music was my first love and it will be my last." He literally listens to music all day, from breakfast to the last moments before he goes to sleep. (Luckily the latter with headphones.). Fortunately, our musical tastes meet over a wide range. My taste wasn't mainstream even "before Edi", but thanks to him I developed a little further. We both like to listen to prog rock because there is so much creativity and so many other styles of music in it - from sweet tones to classical-orchestral to metal, bluesy, rock and ballads. And we like the Calexico style and reggae - I always dance wildly at concerts like that and love it. However, I have to admit that my old legs are getting more and more tired. And I sing along, even though I can't sing - it gets lost in the crowd, wonderful!
    All the best, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/weltreise-2024-3-station-melbourne.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I hear you on the old legs. After Ultra I was literally limping home exhausted!

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid my bones are a bit older and more worn than yours ;-) But life is still fun (mostly), that's the most important thing!
      If you go to the Great Ocean Road - the Shipwreck Coast is really worth seeing. But when we were there a hell of a lot of other tourists were there, too. I think that now is the better time of the year for such excursions... And I recommend a morning tour for the 12 Apostles, as the sun illuminates the stones from the right side!
      PS: I hope you're doing well - keep dancing through life!
      PPS: I'm currently continuing with Tasmania, part 1:
      https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/weltreise-2024-4-station-tasmanien-teil.html

      Delete
  3. This was such a fun prompt and I knew you'd enjoy it Lydia as music seems to be important in your life. I enjoyed reading of your gigs and how music is a part of your life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I majored in cultural anthropology many, many years ago and was taught that all human cultures had music (although what is performed as music can vary greatly). I enjoyed that video - it was so full of fun and happiness. P.S your link to Shadowshot Sunday "could not be found".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep taking it doen for community guidelines and then reinstating it because there's nothing wrong with it. I have no idea why they keep doing it. It's driving me nuts.

      Delete
    2. I can't even work out what the 'trigger' word is so I can change that....it's bizarre.

      Delete
  5. I love that you love to dance, and I love to dance, too. When no one is looking!! Music is a great form of therapy. I appreciate that it helped you through losing your father. My father listened to only classical music for as long as I can remember so I associate that with him. He bought me albums, then cassettes, then CDs of classical music, most of which I listened to very little. Now I am wishing I had listened to them more and paid more attention when he talked about the composers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice fun post I am jealous heheh!
    Thanks for letting me know about my linky I have fised it now and added you 👍

    Have a songtastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t been to a concert in a while, but I agree that music is good therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music is so important, no matter where, when or what the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine life without music!! Keep dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes music is so very important to our lives

    ReplyDelete
  11. Music is excellent therapy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to listen to that video again because it is so full of happiness. We just commemorated a day devoted to our war dead and there is a short tune called Taps associated with our military funerals. At a designated hour yesterday people from all over our country who can play the bugle stopped what they are doing and played it. Just hearing the 24 notes of Taps can be so healing and supportive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realiise everyone played it all at the same time on Memorial day. I thought it was just as ceremonies. That's really interesting

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed reading how music is a part of your life. I listen to some music daily. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete