Friday 31 May 2024

The Characters in other People's Stories

I mentioned my friend finished a manuscript before she died and this week the book was launched.The fabulous Ariel Booksellers in Sydney hosted the launch and it was very exciting to finally get my hands on a copy.

The publisher gave a lovely speech and read a few passages, with the most intriguing aside that one should never trust everything the housekeeper says. The book has a feminist angle, looking at women in those days when they had fewer options, and one character has to choose between the love of their life and their child, so I'm thinking this book may have more more links to Madama Butterfly than just the composer.

A lot of research went into the book and Sue met with Puccini's last living relative (a grand-daughter, I think) twice in Italy and once in the UK. So there should be lots of interesting 'inside' information in the book too!

It's next in my queue so a proper review will come soon.  Available in eBook and Paperback here.

However, the strangest or most interesting part of the night, was meeting people we had heard stories of from Sue over the years. I know all about her children and grand children (now adults!) and many of her lifelong friends. And they know all about me. Whenever we caught up, Sue would bring me up to speed on her family as well as the other people she'd seen that week. 


There's this weird familiarity with strangers, even strangers you don't recognise because you never saw pictures but know the ups and downs of their life, their interests and achievements and more.

There's a meme going around social media that says we should have bring a friend to work day so we can put faces to the characters in our friends work stories. There's so much truth in this. We are conncted to people we may never meet, just by a friend venting or gossiping on their daily life. We are characters that exist in an alternative universe, more or less, and the mutual friend is the portal between the worlds.

Miffy makes me go Awww #AwwMondays


We had dinner with Sue, her son and his then partner (now wife) when they were dating, and yet chatting with him 25 years later, I knew his work, where he lived, his kids (much older than I'd realised) and all sorts of things. He too was asking us about things he'd only heard the stories of. It was a surreal expereince feeling connected and familliar with someone we'd only met once briefly.

I guess this is what historical fiction is. Hearing stories about people that you've never met then fleshing out  them out imagination. 

It's also the way we keep people alive in our hearts. Sometimes we can reach across the universe in celebration of the person that once linked us.





Linking  with #WoWOnWednesday #MonthlyBookWorms  #Bookdate #TrafficJamReboot #WWWhimsy #SeniorSalonPitstop#WeekendCoffeeShare 










17 comments:

  1. Your friend left a wonderful legacy, not only her book(s) but also the social connections among her family and friends. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that your friend couldn’t share this deeply felt moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the book launch was just as your friend would have hoped it would be. I am sorry for your loss and that she wasn't able to be there. Sue sounds like she was a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely post and tribute to friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful, I think, that you were able to attend the book launch and spend time with your friend's family. Because of my blog and the connections I have made there, I feel like I have friends all over the world. Through these connections, people are able to live on. And through books people live on. I am glad your friend is able to live on through her book and through the connections she made in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that you were able to share in something so special to honour your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really special. How lovely to be part of this and I look forward to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for the published book, a treasure to enjoy forevermore. #anythinggoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story and insights Lydia, and all very true meeting people we've only ever heard about! Thanks for joining us for #wwwhimsy this week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Lydia for sharing Sue's book and a little about your friendship with her. I like the idea of 'bring a friend to work day' and agree so often we know a great deal about someone through a mutual friend even if we've only met them briefly. As always thanks for linking up with us at #wwwhimsy this week. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're absolutely spot on - we learn so much about our friends through their connections - and it truly is a way of keeping them around when they're no longer with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post really warmed the cockles of my heart and you are so right - we learn so much about our friends through their special people, it's like we know them even though we might have met only in passing or in some cases not at all. I feel this especially with my UK/Australian friends, they're all such an important part of my life but it kind of makes me sad that their paths might never cross. I bet Sue would be absolutely thrilled to see that her friendships and stories live on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely to read this post with the memories and remarks about friends and carrying on the relationships over time. Interestingly at Dad's Celebration of Life, I got to meet his friends, again and some for the first time because I did nametags...and it was so good to share some of what I knew about them (and them about Dad) on that day.
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear the book launch went so well, and I just love the idea that mutual friends are the portals between worlds. I enjoy very much meeting family or friends of friends that I have heard so much about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your friend's book launch. I'm sure it made her spirit happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post. What a wonderful tribute to your friend.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad your friend got her book launched, it's beautiful to think that she'll be remembered in her work long after she's gone. I also love the sentiment about meeting the characters in other people's stories. That's such a cool thing to think about. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete