Wednesday 1 August 2018

Countries I have visited...

Even the carparks are cool in Finland!



I've traveled a fair bit, and I've loved pretty much everywhere I've been, however a few standouts for me were:






1. Cambodia. We only went to Siem Reap however not only did we decide it was the coolest city in Asia, but I had a life changing experience. The Landmine Museum and story of Aki Ra had a profound affect on how I viewed my place, and my ability to change things in this world. All the businesses in the city seem to have a community charity built into them - be it restaurant or store, even the circus and concerts helped others. It made me see how businesses should run. I loved everything about it.



2. Finland. We went chasing the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi. While that was not the hugest success, I loved the experience. It was probably our last full family holiday so it meant a lot to me, all these moments with all my children playing together. Everyone loved it. We bonded and laughed as all the activities seemed to please all ages. There was a trippy feeling being in that much snow constantly. All the experiences were new to us all - sleeping in an igloo, riding Husky led sleighs, and so many more wonderful activities.





3. France. I've had so many great times in Paris. I can never understand people that don't like it. The people have always been amazingly nice, and the beauty is beyond compare. The French countryside is gorgeous and the monuments and history are well looked after. Been far too long since I was there but the rest of the world is calling and there is only so much time and money to spend.



4. Hawaii. I know it's not a country but they are different to the rest of the States. Spend some time there and you can't help but be a little changed. The Hawaiian people seem to be community minded and caring towards those in need. Their friendliness and relaxed attitude is contagious. Big Island in particular has amazing beauty and an abundance of wild life. We saw whales, spinner dolphins (spinning over our raft!), turtles galore and even a monk seal just landed on the beach! You didn't need to set out to see them, they'd just turn up!  The night snorkel with the Manta Rays is one of the most AMAZING experiences I've ever had.  The volcano is fascinating - and spare a thought to the damage being done to the locals as a result.






5. Singapore. I have a soft spot for Singapore. I've been going since I was a kid of seven, and I've seen a LOT of changes every visit. I've had so much fun, especially at Grand Prix time - they know how to put on a race! There's art galore, fun festivals, oddities and funky hidden markets. It has something for everyone. You can eat well on any budget, and if you don't adore it, you just aren't doing it properly.




There are many more great countries I've visited but these are the ones that really made an impact on me. There's not a single place I wouldn't return to, but alas it all comes at a cost in both time and money, both of which I don't have enough of and alas the scales tip heavily in favour of countries I have not yet visited...







Where have you been and what were your favourites?

Linking this old post with #TravelTuesday

42 comments:

  1. Would love to go to Cambodia - heard such great things about it. I've been crushing on France since my first student exchange in my teens - my mum lived there for a while and ran her own B and B. Also big fan of Hawaii, although would like to see more of it, and of course I loved Australia so much, I came to live here (still loving it.) Also really love Israel. I spent a year there on a kibbutz and had some amazing adventures. The countryside there is just stunning and don't get me started on how much I love Jerusalem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I hope we see some of your Israel pics come Monday...

      Delete
  2. Your experiences sound wonderful - I love how Cambodia apparently run their businesses as you mentioned. I’m not well travelled at all - we just don’t have the funds as a family at the moment (or the spare time) and I’m also a massive home body, I get anxious about travelling I’ll be honest. I’ve been to NZ when I was 18 which was great but very behind the times at that point. I’m in Holland right now as my parents in law live here. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet from where I sit, Holland is SOOOOOO exciting! I've only been to Amsterdam (last year) with the kids. I thought it was the most misrepresented city. No one talks about the Art, the beauty, the history...great food too!

      Delete
  3. From your list I've been to France, Hawaii and Singapore. At this stage Paris gets my vote for best holiday ever, probably because it was also my honeymoon and what better place to spend that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the countries that I've been to and would like to see more so I'm also in favour of countries I haven't yet visited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've had some amazing adventures. I imagine not that many people make it to Cambodia. What wonderful memories you've created for yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super places to see! Am drawn to Finland too. And I really want to get another crack at Paris. Alaska and Argentina are among my favourite places to have personally visited. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing list of places. I've only been to Holland as a child. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your great adventures - so many wonderful places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finland and Cambodia are countries I've never visited, thank you for sharing about them both.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your photos! There are so many wonderful things to see in our world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many countries and all so different, I am always drawn to Greece. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lot of countries you have visited..and these are just some. I like how you mention those that have changed you. So interesting to know that!

    Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek Next week's optional prompt is "Famous People I Have Met". Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be MIA this week, as exams and an excursion...but back after that. I enjoyed this prompt. Thanks for thinking of it.

      Delete
  13. Hello,
    glad you enjoyed your stay in Finland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with Finland. Been reading a lot of their literature (Loved Troll) and even read a nonfiction book on their education system. I did attempt to learn the language, but too hard. Could just say random words from time to time...hehehe

      Delete
  14. Beautiful places you've been for sure. I've been to 3 of the places you listed.


    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many beautiful places

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an impressive list. I've very infrequently been anywhere other than the Carribean and the Eastern coast of the US. Was just telling a younger co-worker that they should do all the traveling that they can now, before getting too tied down #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carribean is very exotic to us. Airfares alone are a killer from here.

      Delete
  17. You've been to so many places that I'm yet to visit! I haven't been to any of these places yet, with the exception of France. I've been to Maui too but that doesn't count as Hawaii. #LifeThisWeek

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to see Singapore's Super Trees! I think it would be super cool to see, especially at night.

    I've been to 16 countries and the ones that have made the greatest impact on me are New Zealand, Japan, and Mexico.

    Visting from #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't been to many countries but I did live in Hawaii for 3 years. I would love to visit Cambodia though. #Theweeklypostcard

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list. My favorites so far have been China, Australia, Italy, and Ireland. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  21. We like the same things! Hawaii is still on my list. I hope to make it over there soon #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cambodia is very high on my travel bucket list - hope to visit Siem Reap any time soon! I absolutely love the idea of the businesses having a community charity built into them... Finland is on the list for a family trip -we´re waiting for the kids to grow up a bit! My most special trips were the Big Island of Hawaii, Iceland and St.Petersburg! #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Big Island and Iceland is my next in line, once funds permit.

      Delete
  23. There's a couple here I've made it to - and I couple here I want to. Hawaii and Finland are on the list¡ #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been to over 20 countries and at the top of my list is France. I've been to France only twice --once when I was still single, once when I'm married, and I'd love to visit it again --this time with the kids. I love that city so! I would love to visit Finland and the other countries in Scandinavia.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of countries that you like, Lydia, but I would have to add the trio of Greece, Italy and Spain! :-)
    Thanks for taking part in the "Travel Tuesday" meme.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm no where near as travelled as you! But I've had the pleasure of visiting Prague twice and could happily live there, even in the depths of winter! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always facied Cambodia. I'm a bit of a dark traveller though I like to visit historical sites with a difference. Thank you so much for sharing and giving me total wanderlust! #KCACOS

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many wonderful places. I have been to France a couple of times and would like to go to Disneyland Paris next year. I prefer historical locations so like researching before I go. Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely pictures, great memories. You reminded me what a wonderful time I had in Cambodia - I have an almost identical shot of that tree!

    ReplyDelete